In this article, I will be talking about optimism and its many benefits. I will also talk about how you can become more optimistic and avoid negative thought patterns.
The word ‘optimism’ has been used in a variety of ways. It is often used to refer to the belief that things are getting better or will get better in the future, but it can also refer to a disposition that is generally cheerful, hopeful, and confident.
If you are having trouble with being optimistic or if you want to understand more about optimism then read on!
The Complete Guide to Optimism and How it Can Help You Achieve Your Goals
Introduction: What is Optimism and How Does it Affect Your Life?
Optimism is Hope
Optimism is a hope for the future. It is the feeling that all will be well. This cannot be assured, but optimism provides the best chance for success.
According to social psychologist Dr. Martin Seligman, optimism is learned and can be encouraged and nurtured. The more optimistic people are, the easier it is for them to cope with hardship. I myself have been through quite a few difficulties, and I can honestly say I would not be where I am today if didn’t constantly practice being optimistic and grateful for what I have and how far I have become.
The opposite of optimism is pessimism, which means a lack of hope or confidence
What are the Benefits of Optimism
There are many benefits to being an optimistic person. Optimists are happier, have more social support and better health. Another study from the University of California, Berkeley shows that optimists may be at a lower risk of heart disease and have stronger immune systems. The study looked at data from nearly 4,000 people and found that those who reported having the highest levels of optimism had a 33% lower risk of heart disease than those who reported the lowest levels of optimism.
A new study in the journal Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin finds that people who are optimistic tend to be healthier than those who are pessimistic.
In the study, the authors found that people who were optimistic were more likely to exercise, eat healthy foods, and practice safe sex. This was in contrast to the pessimists who were more likely to indulge in unhealthy habits like smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol, and using drugs.
The study also found that optimists were less likely to report occurrences of negative thinking, and the need to succumb to these habits.
How to Be More Optimistic in Your Daily Life
This is something I have personally used for years. It’s not always easy to find the silver lining in every situation, but it’s worth the effort. I guarantee you that, if you look at every situation as a learning opportunity or try to find the silver lining as they say, you will be more positive, resilient and optimistic in all aspects of your life, now and in the future.
- Try to look at things as they might be, not how they are.
- See yourself as you want to be.
- Look for a positive reason why things happen
- Forget about the past, live in the present
- Find something to laugh about.
- Do something to make somebody else happy.
Here are some of the many Benefits of being optimistic
- You are more likely to take on more opportunities
- You are less likely to get depressed
- You are more likely to have positive relationships
- You are less likely to have high blood pressure
- You are more likely to be successful in your career
- You will be open to more opportunities
- You will have less fear and more inspiration
The benefits of optimism are endless..
Being optimistic is an important part of feeling good and achieving success. Optimism can improve your relationships, help you make better decisions, and lead to a more fulfilling life.
How to develop a positive mindset
A positive mindset can make a big difference to the work we do. With this in mind, it’s important to learn how to develop one.
There are many ways in which we can develop our positive mindset such as by keeping an ear open for those positive thoughts and phrases, staying optimistic, having a clear plan of what we want to achieve, and learning from others.
Be conscious of what your triggers are, meaning the things in your life that tend to push you to the negative side.
For many people, Social media can affect their positivity, certain places may give them social anxiety, or specific music might stir up uncomfortable feelings, etc. I think you get the point. Your job is to try and find out what they are and minimise your exposure to them.
Let’s talk about positive mindset and focusing on what makes you happy. We all look to achieve goals in our lives, either big or small. And the reason we strive to attain these goals are primarily for the happiness generated by it.
Here are some ways to focus on your goals
- The first step is to identify what you want in your life. It could be anything from a new car or house, to a new job or relationship, but it should be something that has a lot of meaning for you.
- Once you have identified what you want in your life, the next step is to list all the reasons why it would be good for your life if these things happened. Write down at least 10 reasons.
- The third step is to look at all of these reasons and think about them objectively and without judgement. The goal here is not to be too critical, but instead to use as a guide to where to start focusing your attention in order to attain these goals.
- Choose the 1 and get started with simple achievable steps to reaching each stage of this goal. It is very important to remember that these goals need to be realistic and achievable.
- Reach your goal and get started on the next.
It might seem overwhelming at first, but with a bit of focus and breaking these goals into micro tasks, they very quickly become doable.
Why You Should Avoid Negative People
It’s important to be mindful of the company you keep. If you spend a lot of time with negative people, it’s not going to be easy to stay positive.
The people we interact with on a regular basis will have a significant impact on our own mental attitude, and their negativity will eventually will rub off on you.
They will only bring negativity into your life. Unfortunately, they are the type of people that will bring you down and will tell you that you can’t do something, or even try to convince you that your dreams are not achievable. It is sad but true, the failures of others can easily impact your way of thinking.
If you want to be successful, there is no two ways about it. You need as much positivity and support as you can squeeze into your life.
Here is one of my favourite quotes:
Surround yourself with people that reflect who you want to be and how you want to feel, energies are contagious – Rachel Wolchin
Conclusion: The Importance of Being Positive in the Face of Adversity
- Live by your terms
- Develop a positive mindset
- Avoid negative people
- Focus on your goals and how to achieve them
- Start achieving your goals
This is a post about the feeling of fear. Fear is the feeling that takes over your body and mind, warning you that something bad or unpleasant will happen. The definition of fear can vary depending on the person’s perspective. Some people feel fear when they are in danger, while others may not.